When you find yourself continuing to do something you've done for a while, sometimes it's good to intentionally remember why you started doing the thing you're doing in the first place. I've been writing this blog for almost four years, and in some ways the writing and the overall rhythms and nuances of the blog have evolved, but through it all, my deep hope continues to be that this is a space where I can encourage people who pray - especially people who are praying for Alliance Christian School District.
The blog started soon after I began to invite people to be part of a prayer team for the school. I had just joined the development team and had the thought that perhaps one of the best things I could do to help the school develop and grow would be to work at finding people who would join in the important work of prayer. It seemed to me that prayer would be one of the best ways for us to align ourselves with God's plans and the building of His Kingdom through the school.
As I continued to brainstorm about this team, I thought, what if I would start a blog where I could regularly communicate with the people on this team about things like how they could be praying, what I saw God doing, and whatever might inspire them to keep praying? Thus began the "Prayer Matters" blog.
Something else I have done along with writing the blog is to send out updates monthly(ish) with more specific/thorough ways people can be praying. This week, as we have just entered into perhaps the busiest stretch of the school year, I decided to share a portion of one of those updates here. If you're on the prayer team, you've likely already seen this. If not, I would love for you to join us as we pray.
From my most recent prayer team update:
As it is the fifth month of the year, I'm inviting you to pray 5 things for ACSD. This could take you 5 seconds, 5 minutes, or 5 hours. You know better than I do how much time you have to give. Just be encouraged to remember that, like the old praise song reminds us, "every prayer [is] a powerful weapon; strongholds come tumbling down and down and down and down".
So, what follows are 5 things for you to consider praying over ACSD as you are able, followed by some more specific prayers and notes if you'd like to know more. Thank you SO much for praying us through this final leg of the school year.
Father, would You bless each teacher, student, parent, and staff member with energy and strength to persevere to the end of this school year. When they feel weary, remind them of Your never-ending strength.
Jesus, we pray for Your protection over every person and every activity between now and the end of the school year. You are our Good Shepherd, so please watch over and take care of every one of Your sheep, even those who have yet to accept Your invitation. Place a hedge of protection around us, physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
Lord, You are always at work, whether we see it or not. Please open our eyes, and help us to grow in our awareness of what You are doing. Breathe on this community, Holy Spirit, and awaken hearts and minds to see the evidence of Your movements.
As one school year ends, and we begin to look ahead to a new one, we need so much wisdom. Help all who are making decisions to be able to think clearly and see clearly to make decisions that are wise and honoring to You. We open ourselves to receive the wisdom You promise and thank You that You give generously to all who ask.
God of hope, we pray that You would fill each person in the ACSD community with all joy and peace as they trust in You, so that they may overflow with hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Now, God who hears every prayer, we lift up these specific items in which we need endurance, protection, awareness, wisdom and hope....
- Serve-a-Thon, May 2, happening on both campuses. Move in people's hearts to give generously as they are able to support the ministry of ACSD by donating to this year's Serve-a-Thon.
- Admissions, ongoing. Please bring the families You want to come to BCS and WCA for next year.
- Trained bus driver. Thank You for whoever You might already have in mind to fill this needed role for next year. Please move mightily to bring this person to us!
- World Vision Weekend, May 18-20. Global 6K for Water event Thursday (for middle school) and Saturday (open to community), and the Spring "Behold the Lamb" Concert Friday. Lord, inspire each person participating in these events and ignite our hearts to be on fire to love You and love our neighbors. Provide the remaining needed helpers for Behold the Lamb, and move in people's hearts to attend these events and give generously and cheerfully as they are able. Let the Guatemalan friends we support be honored and blessed because of all that happens through this weekend.
- High school formal, May 12, at Sunnybrook Ballroom. May this be a sweet time of connection and celebration for all who attend!
- High school retreat, May 18, at Camp Calvary. Use this time away to refresh the hearts of our high school students, draw them close to You, and teach them more about You.
- Celebrate BCS Night, May 23, and Celebrate WCA Night, May 25. May each of these evenings provide space for families to reflect on the good things we've seen You do throughout the year. Bless all who are preparing for these events and may the details all come together smoothly.
- Elementary musical, "Back the the Beginning" May 30 at WCA. We lift up Mrs. Zahradnik and all of her students as they work hard to prepare to tell this story. Help them work together and let this performance glorify You.
- Many service learning trips this month. Please keep each group safe and may the various acts of service deepen the roots of the students' understanding of what it means to love in action.
- Senior trips. Bless and keep each student and chaperone during their time away together.
- Graduations for our PreK, Kindergarten and Senior Students. Bless all who are preparing for these special milestone events. Let them be meaningful and let each student feel honored and celebrated.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog and pray for Alliance Christian School District! Lord willing, I plan to publish a new blog post weekly throughout the school year. Feel free to subscribe (at the bottom of this page) if you'd like to be notified each time a new blog post has been published. We also have a prayer team that is always open for new pray-ers to join. If you'd like to learn more, email me at email@example.com.
~ Carrie Warner, ACSD Prayer Team Coordinator
Soli Deo Gloria To God alone be the glory